Influencer anxiety awareness alert!!! -Sometimes the exhaustion just hits you but your mind is so busy you can’t sleep. But I have to say it’s been a good week overall! I wrote this late one night when I couldn’t sleep.
So Why am I a terrible influencer?
1.Firstly, I make a terrible influencer because I don’t put myself in that category. I see myself as a writer. A content creator A blogger. I accidentally fell into the influencer space…..let me add, I’m awful at videos, lives and the such but I try. I’m stronger in the writing space and that’s where I feel comfortable so stick with what you now hey?
2.I’m not thrilled about the lack of diversity I’ve seen regarding influencers. I’ve also seen unkindness. I’m not up for that. We should be supporting one another. There is enough room for everyone. You do you. It’s not everywhere but it’s a thing! I would like to see different faces, new faces.
3.I’m not a ‘stuff’ person. I never say yes to product drops….wait! unless you want to send me food. Always up for that… And Wine! If I do promote products, it has to stuff I really believe in!
4. My followers /follow ratio apparently isn’t correct.???…look I do audit my account every now and then but it’s not a priority in my life, seriously!
5.I take too many selfies! One PR guy actually told me it’s weird, then in the same breath says, you must be you and be authentic!? Um… Ok
6. I do say yes to events because I love them but then anxiety presents itself. I over-compensate, talk too much then the peeps think I’m a crazy stalker chick, haha… Or they love me, we find out later.
7. I’ve yet to figure out the travel blogging space! Gosh, some people just get that so right! Like my friend Taryn from African Travel Bird!!!(Go follow her, her blog is amazing) I have a bit of that on my blog but,? Needs work.
8. Instagram is where it’s at, and I’m still into my actual blog writing about real people and real stories. Just when I’ve mastered Instagram, now I learn that Tik Tok is the ‘fire'(new Gen z slang word for cool)… GUYS! Tik Tok is tough. So much stuff to create, too little time! I may be addicted but so bad at it! Haha
9. Lastly, I may swear too much for people’s liking. But I’m more Gangster than Stepford wife so I’ll just keep being me thanks.
Please stop asking bloggers/writers and influencers to “ Just share a post” for you. Like other creatives such as musicians, we do not offer our craft for free. If we do, it is entirely of our choosing and usually people we have built strong networking relationships with. It is give and take not just take. I cannot tell you how many requests I get in my inbox asking me for favours.
I know I speak for all of us when I say we do try our best to support local businesses where we can. It is just plain rude to expect it to be done at no cost. You obviously saw our platform is good and that is why you sought to contact us. These websites and platforms have taken a lot of behind-the-scenes work, a lot of blood sweat and tears, a shitload of networking, and not to mention years of skill and knowledge of marketing and social media.
True collaborations are give and take
Not everybody understands influencer marketing! They think they are the only ones sending us a message but honey, we get loads of requests we have to turn down. I thought this was common sense but I realised it is not. People do not understand and get offended if we do. not post for them as if they are owed something. Collaborations are born out of relationships and trust.
I recently posted for a chilli brand I do support. Only for someone to hijack my post and post their friend’s chilli business. I had to delete it because it is a conflict for me. This brand then proceeded to message me, telling me that a friend said that I would post their content for them. I was shocked at the sheer audacity and had to once again explain that I can post at a cost but this particular product was in conflict with one I was already promoting.
This can go the other way where influencers take advantage of brands too. Please just stop taking advantage of other people’s full stop. Always look at how to mutually benefit or collaborate and work together in some way.
Love and light.