When people ask me… “Why do you love music so much?” how do you explain all this in a passing sentence?
- It fills the empty spaces of your soul
- It leaves an echo after everything is gone
- It allows you to feel love, joy, and even anger and pain you have forgotten.
- It does not discriminate itself from the hearer.
- All are welcome to bath in its gifts of warmth, comfort, and familiarity
- It triggers nostalgic memories that remind you of your existence
- With music, you can make an imprint in a strange world.
- By creating, just listening, or being a music bearer, passing its treasures on to others that will survive long after we are gone.
I have enjoyed collaborating with a few Durban Musicians including the band Serrotone and James Edward who is part of the band but also has a new single that has made it on the radio and gone his own way since the interview I did with them in 2020.
In the 90s, I followed a band called Candleman and the guys became my friends, so I also did an article on Dave Warby, although not currently living in South Africa the original Durban boy has made international music featured on the Netflix series Dark.
I worked alongside Martin Nel from Coastal Radio SA, who sometimes sent me some musicians he had interviewed to write a story on them. This is how I got to meet Clarissa Pienaar and I also met up with Dave Starke when he was performing at Kloof Country Club to interview him.
Everyone always asks me who are my favourites…….Here is a list of 20 of my favourite Durban/KZN bands in no particular order! I love each o them for different reasons. This doesn’t mean other bands are not great, this is a list of music I enjoy for various reasons. The bands are professional and talented and most have original songs that I love!
- Broken Advocate
- James Edward
- Shane Strachan
- No Fly zone
- Rob Warren
- Rusty Red
- Poster Boy
- Wah Wah Baby
- Tiaan Rivers
- Gavin Ferguson
- Retro Stereo
- Tanner Wareham
- Dave Starke
- John Ellis
- The Zambucks
- The kickstands
- Veranda Panda
- Phillip Taylor
If you are a musician or band in Durban or KZN and want to be featured invite me to your gigs and events! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org